Friday, December 2, 2011

Part Three: Going Vegan? Already One? There's an App for That!


  In my final installment of this series, I rate the worst apps I tried. Some of them are terrible because they don't work properly. Others are simply built on a bad idea. Now, I realize that I tried out 16 and only rated 6, but all that means is that the other 10 were either mediocre in design and function or not very noteworthy at all. The first two parts of the series are below as well as in the index to the right.
  My final critique only includes apps that were based on a bad idea or don't do what they say they do. As before, I list the app as well as the star rating it received in the store. Here is my list of the worst three and why I didn't like them:
1. Vegan Recipes (2.5 stars) - This app is functional, but very incomplete. Most of the recipes have incomplete ingredient lists. The descriptions of the steps get cut off because the screens aren't formatted correctly. The final issue with this app is that every recipe is estimated to take 10 minutes to prep and 50 minutes to complete, even the ones that have to be refrigerated OVERNIGHT.
2. VeganSteven (2.5 stars) - This app attempts to guide users to different vegan friendly locations for shopping and eating. The big problem is that the categories are not indicative of the businesses that are listed. For instance, when a user chooses "Vegan Shoes", the app lists a maternity store, a pharmacy, Whole Foods and even a barbershop. This app would be great if the creator hadn't royally messed up the categories.
3. Veggie Spots (1.5 stars) - This app also has potential, but the programming must be seriously flawed or incomplete. Ultimately this should allow you to enter your zip code and find local vegan "spots" in your neighborhood. It uses the GPS in the iPhone to find your current location, but instead of helpfully showing you where vegan restaurants are located, it forces you to play a kind of "warmer or colder" game using the map. My search results often numbered in the teens, but I almost never got to see them all thanks to the poor mapping.
  Food Additives 2 (3 stars) is the app I was in search of originally. It is a decent app, but the descriptions of the individual additives are weak. The Animal Free and Cruelty Free apps have very weak databases and could be promising with a large amount of user feedback. Honest Label is a really neat scanning program that would allow you to instantly see what is in a product without the hassle of reading the label. Sadly, the newest version of the software crashes every time I try to scan, rendering this app completely useless.
  So there you have it. The very worst "vegan" apps in a nutshell. During this project I learned that, while my iPhone functions very well as a phone, messaging device, camera, etc., it doesn't hold a candle to the combination of my eyes and brain when it comes to choosing my food. It's a handy assistant, but the flaws of its human programmers became evident very quickly. I guess the iPhone isn't better than a human quite yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment