Monday, June 20, 2011

New batch of Kombucha

I was having mold problems, but it would seem that I have that problem sussed out. I just got 2 more quarts finished and I would have started 4 new ones but the 2 oldest cultures were getting really grey and I'm not sure how much longer they will be effective. I put the two oldest ones together to see what would happen and I followed the standard formula for the other 2 jars I started. So far, each quart has taken about 3-4 weeks to fully ferment. I also found out that the only tea I can use to get a decent outcome is a Keemun-A loose leaf black tea. I had a couple of green tea batches go alright at first, and I tried a loose leaf oolong this time to see what would happen. But the best tasting tea I have made has been the Keemun-A. I also tried using a bagged brand which I won't name, and I ended up with mold in that one too.

So my final conclusion would seem to be this:

Only use organic loose leaf tea with no chance of additives.
Only use coffee filters to cover since nothing else lets enough air in to prevent mold.
Make sure to thoroughly wash the jars and then do a final rinse with filtered water.

So far I have only had success using these methods. Here are some new pictures of what I did.

From Food I Made

From Food I Made

No comments:

Post a Comment