Monday, May 2, 2011

More Kombucha

I'm sure this is going to start getting repetitive, so I won't post about it for a while after this. I just want to add a quick update about where I am with this stuff. I just put up some new pictures. I got one almost perfect quart on my first try and then when I used my new scoby to make another quart it got mold and I had to ditch the whole thing. I ended up with one more good quart using black tea instead of green, so this time I got 2 quarts going with black.

From Food I Made

I think the reason I got mold in my last batch was because the tea I used wasn't an organic loose leaf variety. I think there was something in the tea or the bag itself that tainted my culture and grew the mold. The reason you cannot use earl grey or any other type of herbal tea is due to the oil and potential other contaminates. I can't be sure that it was the teabags that caused the problem, but I had no issues with the 2 quarts I made using pure organic loose leaf teas.

I am about to go get all the stuff ready for the garden right now. I have a lot of catch up to do to get a positive result this summer. Hopefully every year that the kids get bigger it will be easier to take care of these details early in the spring. I also have my plans drawn up for the garden beds and hopefully this week I can obtain the lumber I need to get them built.

Wish me luck as I have plenty of work to do in the coming weeks! I am definitely wishing myself luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment