Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Been busy

Since we got back from our little vacation, I have been incredibly motivated. I saw a lot of things in San Francisco that gave me some really good ideas about sustainable living. We came back and I got really excited about getting outside and getting things done.

The first thing I got working on was the compost heap. I have been neglecting it lately and I realized that this kind of behaviour must end. I knew it would be in the way if I decided to expand that garden at a later date and I also knew that I wanted it out of the lawn when we tilled up the back yard. So I moved it. There are pictures of what it looked like before and what it looks like now in the album Stuff I Made

I also tore out the ugly shrub in the front of our house. We are planning to replace it with peonies and other perennial flowers. We also will be planting some herbs in the planter box and another flower garden in front of the porch. Along with this small improvement, we also just tilled up the entire back yard. I will post some better pictures when it isn't raining outside, but for now the pictures are in the Stuff I Fixed album.

I also recently found out that the pressure treated 1x6 boards and 4x4 posts that Home Depot stocks no longer contain arsenate (arsenic), which means I don't have to line my planter box with plastic! HOORAY for the EPA! We will be staining it and planting in it soon I hope.

New pictures will come as I get more things done.

No comments:

Post a Comment