Friday, March 9, 2012

Chicken update

During the first council meeting, the Ferndale city council voted unanimously to approve an amendment to the ordinance banning chickens. Ferndale residents are now allowed to build a chicken coop in their back yard as long as it is at least 10 feet away from any residential structure.

I plan on getting my permit to build my coop and get it done before the end of the summer, but I think that getting the animals will wait until next summer. Between having a new baby in the house, getting the garden in order, taking care of my 2 year old son and working full time, I don't know that I'll have time to get started taking care of these high-maintanence animals. I doubt I'll want to even consider trying!

So, my plan is to have everything built and in order and then I'll see about getting some full grown hens or some pullets in the Spring of 2013. Building the coop will be a fun project for a few hot summer days when I'm not doing other things around the urban farm. And of course, I'll post pictures and instructions as I'm completing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment