Thursday, July 14, 2011

Pictures of rain barrel #1

Here are a couple of pictures of the first of 3 rain barrels I will install soon. This one is very unlike the others since my father gave me his old water softener tank to convert. After scrubbing it out, drilling some holes and assembling the accessories, it makes a pretty handsome conversion. I think I may buy a can of brown spray paint for it, but for now, it will do just fine as it is.
From Stuff I Made
I used a simple brass hose bib for the bottom and a 1/2-3/4 threaded coupler for the overflow on the top. This part took me about 15 minutes to assemble.
From Stuff I Made
Now I have to build the 2x4 stand it will sit on and install the gutter to fill it. My other 2 barrels are cleaned out and ready to be assembled but the shape of the barrel is causing me trouble. The bottom of the barrel is angled in such a way that the hose bib would point downward when I finish. If I try to put the spout higher on the barrel I won't be able to effectively empty it. I'm thinking about a few options and I will definitely update with the finished product when I decide what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment